'Amr b. Khalid al-Saydawi
|'Amr b. Khalid al-Saydawi|
|Full Name||'Amr b. Khalid al-Asadi al-Saydawi|
|Companion of||Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Place(s) of Residence||Kufa|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Battle of Karbala|
|Burial Place||The Holy Shrine of Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Activities||Attending the uprising of Muslim b. 'Aqil|
ʿAmr b. Khālid al-Asadī Ṣaydāwī (Arabic:عَمرو بن خالِد الاَسَدی الصَيداوي) (martyrdom: 'Ashura 61/680) was among the Martyrs of Karbala. 'Amr was among the noble people of Kufa who gave allegiance to Muslim b. 'Aqil and after Muslim was martyred, joined the caravan of Imam al-Husayn (a) in 'Udhayb al-Hijanat, together with his servant Sa'd. He was martyred together with his servant in the first attack of the enemy on the Day of 'Ashura.
In the Battle of Karbala
In the Battle of Karbala, 'Amr went out of Kufa together with his servant Sa'd, Majma' b. 'Abd Allah 'A'idhi and Nafi' b. Hilal and with the guidance of Tirimmah joined the caravan of Imam al-Husayn (a) in 'Udhayb al-Hijanat. Hurr wanted to capture or return them, but Imam (a) prevented him from that. In some sources, instead of Nafi' b. Hilal, Jabir b. Harith Salmani has been mentioned.
On the Day of 'Ashura, 'Amr and his servant were martyred in the first attack. He and four others with the guidance of Tirimmah had joined Imam al-Husayn (a) in 'Udhayb al-Hijanat on the day of 'Ashura. They first attacked the army of 'Umar b. Sa'd, then the army of 'Umar b. Sa'd besieged them. 'Abbas b. Ali (a) attacked the army of 'Umar b. Sa'd and rescued them. They attacked once again and fought until they were all martyred in one place. He is buried in the mass grave of the martyrs of Karbala in the Holy Shrine of Imam al-Husayn (a).
- Samāwī, Ibṣār al-ʿayn, p. 117; Tustarī, Qāmūs al-rijāl, vol. 8, p. 94.
- Samāwī, Ibṣār al-ʿayn, p. 117, p. 114-115.
- Tustarī, Qāmūs al-rijāl, vol. 8, p. 94.
- Bilādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 3, p. 172.
- Abū Mikhnaf, Waqʿat al-ṭaff, p. 238.
- Ibn Athīr, al-Kāmil, vol. 4, p. 74.
- Abū Mikhnaf, Waqʿat al-ṭaff, p. 238-239.
- Abū Mikhnaf, Lūṭ b. Yaḥyā. Waqʿat al-ṭaff. Third edition. Qom: Daftar-i Nashr-i Islāmī, 1417 AH.
- Bilādhurī, Aḥmad b. Yaḥyā al-. Ansāb al-ashrāf. Edited by Muḥammad Bāqir Maḥmūdī. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1977 AH.
- Ibn Athīr, ʿAlī b. Muḥammad. Al-Kāmil fī l-tārīkh. Beirut: Dār al-Ṣādir, 1385 AH.
- Samāwī, Muḥammad b. Ṭāhir. Ibṣār al-ʿayn fī anṣār al-Ḥusayn. Qom: Dānishgāh-i Shahīd Maḥallātī, 1419 AH.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Edited by Muḥammad Abū l-Faḍl Ibrāhīm. Beirut: Dār al-Turāth, 1387 AH.
- Tustarī, Muḥammad Taqī al-. Qāmūs al-rijāl. Second edition. Qom: Daftar-i Nashr-i Islāmī, 1417 AH.