'Abd al-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Ibrahim al-Hilli
|Well-Known As||Ibn al-'Ata'iqi|
|Studied in||Hillah, Isfahan, Fars|
|Works||Al-Nasikh wa l-mansukh, etc.|
Kamāl al-Dīn ʿAbd al-Raḥmān b. Muḥammad b. Ibrāhīm al-Ḥillī (Arabic: کمال الدین عبدالرحمان بن محمد بن ابراهیم الحِلّي) (d. after 788/1386), also known as Ibn al-ʿAtāʾiqī (ابن العتائقي) was a Shi'a scholar and author. He was a student of 'Ali b. Muhammad al-Kashani, the author of Ta'rib al-zubda, and the teacher of 'Ali b. 'Abd al-Hamid. He has authored many works only one of which, Kitab al-Nasikh wa al-mansukh, has been published.
Life and Education
Little information is available about the details of his life, but his works which are dated between 732/1331 and 788/1386 approximately indicate when he was alive.
He was known as al-'Ata'iqi because he was related to Attayige, a village near Hillah.
Teachers and Students
He was a student of 'Ali b. Muhammad al-Kashani, the author of Ta'rib al-zubda, and the teacher of 'Ali b. 'Abd al-Hamid. Also, it has been said that a person named Zahdari or Ibn Zahdari was his shaykh al-riwaya (master in narration).
He had various works in different fields. 30 of his works are preserved in the library of Rawdat al-Haydariyya (al-Gharawiyya), 12 of which are in his own handwriting. Except for a few of his works, all of his works are commentaries or summaries of other books.
His only published work is al-Nasikh wa l-mansukh which was published in Najaf in 1390/1970 with effort of 'Abd al-Hadi al-Fudayli. In this book, in addition to explaining the meaning of naskh (abrogation) in the Qur'an, he studied the abrogated verses (al-ayayt al-mansukha) of the Qur'an.
Some of his works in manuscript are:
- Commentary on Nahj al-balagha. This book considered as his most important work. In this book he used other commentaries on Nahj al-balagha like: commentary of Ibn Abi al-Hadid and commentary of Ibn Maytham al-Bahrani. Copies of this book are preserved in some libraries in Najaf and Khoy.
- Al-Irshad fi ma'rifat maqadir al-ab'ad. It is a book in geometry and he finished writing it in 788/1376. This book is a commentary on the 4th chapter of al-Tadhkira by Nasir al-Din al-Tusi.
- Al-Awwaliyyat; the summary of al-Awa'il by Abu Hilal al-'Askari. Its manuscript is preserved in the library of Rawdat al-Haydariyya (al-Gharawiyya).
- Al-Idah wa al-tabyin commentary of Manahij al-yaqin by al-'Allama al-Hilli.
- Al-Durr al-muntakhab fi lubab al-adab; Its manuscript is preserved in the library of Rawdat al-Haydariyya (al-Gharawiyya).
- Durr al-naqqad fi sharh al-Irshad.
- Commentary on Ibn Maytham's questions form Nasir al-Din al-Tusi.
- Commentary on Diwan al-Mutanabbi.
- Ghurar al-ghurar wa durar al-durar. A summary of al-Amali by al-Sharif al-Murtada.
- Al-Dhari'a, Vol.3, 356; Vol.14, P.259.
- Al-Zirkili, al-A'lam, Vol.3, P.230.
- Afandi, Riyad al-'ulama, Vol.3, P.104-105; Tihrani, al-Dhari'a, Vol.14, P.259-260.
- Afandi, Riyad al-'ulama, Vol.3, P.104-105.
- See: Kurkis, Khaza'in al-kutub al-qadima fi al-Iraq, P.135; Al-Husayni, Fihrist makhtutat, P.47.
- Tihrani, Al-Dhari'a, Vol.14, P.32.
- Al-Husayni, Fihrist makhtutat, P. 59.
- Al-Dhari'a, Vol.2, P.481.
- Al-Husayni, Fihrist makhtutat, P.37.
- Tihrani, Al-Dhari'a, Vol.8, P.74.
- Al-Husayni, Fihrist makhtutat, P.37.
- Al-Husayni, Fihrist makhtutat, P.52.
- To see other works of his, refer to: Riyad al-'ulama, Vol.3, P. 104-105; Tihrani, Tabaqat a'lam al-Shi'a, P.110; Al-Husayni, Fihrist makhtutat.
- The material for this article is mainly taken from عبدالرحمان بن محمد بن ابراهیم حلى in Farsi WikiShia.
- Tihrani, Aqa Buzurg. al-Dhari'a ila tasanif al-shi'a.
- Tihrani, Aqa Buzurg. Tabaqat a'lam al-shi'a, 8th century. Beirut: 1970
- Ibn al-'Ata'iqi, 'Abd al-Rahman. Sharh Nahj al-balagha. Photography of the manuscript, library of Ayatollah Mar'ashi Najafi.
- Afandi, 'Abd Allah. Riyad al-'ulama. Ed. Ahmad Husayni. Qom: 1401 AH.
- Husayni, Ahmad al-. Fihrist makhtutat Khazanat al-rawdat al-Haydariyya. Najaf: 1971.
- Kurkis, 'Awwad, Khaza'in al-kutub al-qadima fi al-Iraq. Baghdad: 1948.