Al-Qasim Son of the Prophet (s)
Al-Qāsim (Arabic: القاسِم), the son of Prophet Muhammad (s) and Lady Khadija (a), was born in Mecca before Bi'that. He passed away in his childhood. According to some reports, he passed away when he was only 2 years old. Prophet Muhammad's (s) teknonym, Abu l-Qasim was derived from the name of his son.
|Al-Qasim Son of the Prophet|
An old photo of the mausoleum of Lady Khadija (a) and her son, al-Qasim in al-Ma'lat Cemetery.
|Place of Birth||Mecca|
|Burial Place||al-Ma'lat Cemetery|
According to a number of historical reports, after the demise of al-Qasim, al-'As b. Wa'il called Prophet Muhammad (s) "al-Abtar" (a person without a progeny and offspring) as he had no sons, which led to revelation of Sura al-Kawthar. This story is also reported about the demise of 'Abd Allah, the other son of the Prophet (s).
|Family tree of Ahl al-Bayt (a)|
- Ibn Ishaq, Sira ibn Ishaq, p.245; Ibn Hisham, al-Sira al-nabawiyya, vol.1, p.190.
- Diyarbakri, Tarikh al-Khamis, vol.1, p.273; al-Majlisi, Bihar al-Anwar, vol.2, p.166.
- Ibn Ishaq, Sira ibn Ishaq, p.245; Ibn Kathir, Al-Bidaya wa al-nihaya, vol.3, p.104.
- Al-Baladhuri, Ansab al-ashraf, vol. 1, p. 138-139.
- Ibn Kathir Damishqi, Isma'il. Al-Bidaya wa al-nihaya. Beirut: Dar al-Fikr.
- Ibn Hisham, 'Abd al-Malik. al-Sira al-nabawiyya. Beirut: Dar al-Ma'rifa.
- Ibn Ishaq, Muhammad. Sira ibn Ishaq , (al-musamma bi) Kitab al-siyar wa l-maghazi .Tehran: Daftar-i Mutali'at-i Tarikh Wa Ma'arif Islami, 1410/1989.
- Al-Baladhuri, Ahmad b. Yahya, Ansab al-Ashraf, 1st edition, Beirut, Dar al-Fikr, 1417/1996.
- Diyarbakri, Husayn b. Muhammad, Tarikh al-khamis fi ahwal anfus al-nafis, Beirut, Dar al-Sadir.