Al-Rawda al-bahiyya fi sharh al-lum'a al-Dimashqiyya (book)
|Original title||الرَوضَة البَهِیَّة فی شَرح اللُمعَة الدِمَشقِیَّة|
|Publisher||Jami'a al-Najaf al-Diniyya|
Al-Rawḍa al-bahīyya fī sharḥ al-lūmʿa al-dīmashqīyya (Arabic: الرَوضَة البَهِیَّة فی شَرح اللُمعَة الدِمَشقِیَّة) is an important book in jurisprudence, sometimes referred to as Sharh al-lum'a, written by Shaykh Sa'id Zayn al-Din b. 'Ali b. Ahmad b. Taqi al-'Amili, or al-Shahid al-Thani (d. 966 A.H./ 1558). The book is known to be one of the best, and the most prominent expositions of al-Lum'a al-dimashqiyya authored by al-Shahid al-Awwal. Sharh al-lum'a has been one the most significant text books of preliminary courses of Islamic seminaries for centuries. There are many commentaries and annotations written on the book, and this shows the importance of this work in jurisprudence.
Importance of the Book
Since the book was written, it has been frequently cited, and referred to, in the works of many great scholars of jurisprudence, such as:
- Sayyid Muhammad al-'Amili (d. 1009 A.H./ 1600) in his Madarik al-ahkam
- Al-Fadil al-Hindi (d. 1137 A.H./ 1724) in his Kashf al-litham
- Muhammad Baqir Bihbahani known as Wahid Bihbahani (d. 1206 A.H./ 1791) in his Majma' al-fa'ida wa al-burhan
- Sayyid Muhammad Jawad al-'Amili (d. 1226 A.H./ 1811) in his Mifah al-karama
- Sayyid 'Ali Tabataba'i (d. 1231 A.H./ 1816) in his Riyad al-masa'il
- Al-Fadil al-Naraqi (d. 1245 A.H./ 1830) in his Mustanad al-shia
- Al-Shaykh Murtada al-Ansari in his works.
The Date of Writing
Comments about the Book
Organization of the Book
Sharh al-lum'a contains 51 chapters in ten volumes:
- Kitab al-taharat (cleanliness) and kitab al-salat (prayer).
- Zakat, khums, sawm (fasting), hajj, jihad.
- Al-qada wa al-shahadat (adjudication and testimony), waqf, atiyya (gift), matajir (commerce).
- From dayn (debts) to juʾala.
- From wasiyya (will) to dayn (debt).
- Kitab al-talaq (divorce).
- Kitab al-ghasb (usurpation), lqata (lost property), to ihyaʾ al-mawat (revival of wasteland).
- Kitab al-irth (heritage)
- Kitab al-hudud
- Kitab al-qisas.
Commentaries on the Book
There are about 100 commentaries and annotations on Sharh al-lum'a as mentioned in al-Dhari'a, the most important of which are those of Aqa Jamal al-Din al-Khwansari, Sultan al-'Ulama, and Sahib al-Madarik. In general, there are two types of commentaries on Sharh al-lum'a: those written as independent books and those written just as appended commentaries.
Commentaries written as distinct works
Such commentaries have not been written as separate books and are only known by their authors.
The book has been widely published in Iran, Egypt, and Iraq. The best print of the book is the one by Jami'a al-Najaf al-Diniyya, edited by Sayyid Muhammad al-Kalantar. The first print was in 1386/ 1966) and it was reprinted in 1398/ 1978 in 10 volumes.
- Tihrānī, al-Dharīʿa, vol. 6, p. 90; vol. 11, 29; vol. 14, p. 49.
- Tihrānī, al-Dharīʿa, vol. 11, p. 290; vol. 13, p. 292.
- Amīn, Aʿyān al-Shīʿa, vol. 1, p. 145; vol. 7, p. 155.
- Makkī al-ʿĀmilī, Sharḥ al-lumʿa, contents of the book.
- Tihrānī, al-Dharīʿa, volumes 3, 4, 6, 12, 15, 16, 20, 20, 21, 23.
- Tihrānī, al-Dharīʿa, volumes 6, 7, 12, 13.
- Amīn, Sayyid Muḥsin al-. Aʿyān al-Shīʿa. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf, n.p.
- Makkī al-ʿĀmilī, Muḥammad b. Jamāl al-Dīn al-. Sharḥ al-lumʿa. Najaf: Manshūrāt Jāmiʿat al-Najaf al-Dīnīyya, 1386 AH.
- Tihrānī, Aqā Buzurg al-. Al-Dharīʿa ilā taṣānīf al-Shīʿa. Beirut: Dār al-Aḍwāʾ, 1403 AH.