Ishaq b. Imam al-Kazim (a)
|Ishaq b. Imam al-Kazim (a)|
The attributed mausoleum to Ishaq b. Musa b. Ja'far in Saveh.
|Full Name||Ishaq b. Musa b. Ja'far|
|Companion of||Imam al-Rida (a)|
|Wellknown Relatives||Imam al-Kazim (a) (father), Imam al-Rida (a) (brother), Lady Fatima al-Ma'suma (a) (sister)|
|Place(s) of Residence||Medina|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||by the agents of al-Ma'mun|
|Activities||He accompanied Imam (a) in his journey to Merv and forced to accept the position of Amir al-Hajj|
Isḥāq b. Mūsā b. Jaʿfar (a) was one of the children of Imam Musa al-Kazim (a). According to historical reports, he and his brother Imam al-Rida (a) went to Merv and then in the same year Imam al-Rida (a) was called crown prince returned to Hijaz as Amir al-hajj. According to some researchers, he went again to Tus with the caravan of Lady Fatima al-Ma'suma (a) and was martyred in Saveh by the agents of al-Ma'mun. Scholars of rijal (biographical evaluation) considered him among the companions of Imam al-Rida (a). There are many hadiths transmitted by him in hadith references. In Iran, some shrines in Saveh, Gorgan, elsewhere attributed to him.
Ishaq b. Musa (a) is one of the sons of Imam al-Kazim (a). Some have considered Umm Walad, his mother and some have considered him the brother of Ahmad b. Musa b. Ja'far (a) from the same mother, thus, his mother must have been Umm Ahmad. However, there is no information about the date of his birth.
|Family tree of Ahl al-Bayt (a)|
Position and Merits
Ishaq b. Musa (a) grew up under education of Imam al-Kazim (a) and a pious mother and after the martyrdom of his father, followed his brother Imam al-Rida (a) well. According to historical reports, each of the children of Imam al-Kazim (a) had a famous merit. Companionship of Imam al-Rida (a) in his journey to Tus and narrating hadiths about his imamate has added to the merits of Ishaq b. Musa (a).
Accompanying Imam al-Rida (a) in Merv
- Ishaq's marriage with al-Ma'mun's cousin: In an act of deception, al-Ma'mun forced Imam al-Rida (a) to accept crown-princehood and also made some marriages between his own relatives and Imam's (a). Thus, after he forced Imam (a) to accept marriage with his own daughter, Umm Habiba, forced Ishaq b. Musa (a) to marry his cousin, daughter of Ishaq b. Ja'far al-Abbasi.
- His appointment as Amir al-hajj (Hajj pilgrims commander)
The position of Amir al-Hajj (Arabic: أمیر الحاجّ; Hajj pilgrims commander) is among the responsibilities of the caliph. Al-Ma'mun wanted Imam al-Rid (a) to accept this position; but, Imam (a) had basically made a condition upon accepting succession of al-Ma'mun that he (a) would not interfere any governmental affairs; thus to advance toward his goals, al-Ma'mun had to appoint closes person to Imam (a) to this position, so, forced Ishaq b. Musa (a) to accept this position.
- See also: Amir al-Hajj
Accompanying Lady Fatima al-Ma'suma (a)
That Ishaq b. Musa (a) accompanied Imam al-Rida (a) in his journey to Tus is definite and confirmed and according to historical reports, his journey to Hijaz as Amir al-hajj is also confirmed, but some researchers also believe that he went again to Tus with the caravan of Lady Fatima al-Ma'suma (a).
Since 22 of brothers and nephews of Lady al-Ma'suma (a) accompanied her and were martyred by the agents of al-Ma'mun al-Abbasi in Saveh, their burial place need to be searched there.
Existence of a shrine attributed to Ishaq b. Musa b. Ja'far (a) shows that he was also among the companions of Lady al-Ma'suma (a) in this journey and a support of this opinion is the report of Hamd Allah Mustawfi, the historian and geographer of 8th/14th century who mentions about the existence of a shrine attributed to Ishaq b. Musa b. Ja'far (a) in Saveh in Nuzhat al-qulub.
- See also: Lady Fatima al-Ma'suma (a)
He was among the companions of Lady al-Ma'suma (a) and was martyred in Saveh by the agents of al-Ma'mun.
There are some shrines attributed to him in Iran:
- In the east of Saveh
- Shrine of "Mashhad Nur" in Gorgan
- In Harand of Isfahan
- In Shaft of Gilan
The dome of the attributed mausoleum to Ishaq b. Musa b. Ja'far in Harand, Isfahan.
- Mufīd, al-Irshād, vol. 2, p. 254; Abū l-Faraj al-Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 456.
- Ṭūsī, Rijāl, p. 352.
- Ibn Ṣabbāgh, al-Fuṣūl al-muhimma, vol. 3, p. 163; Nūrī, Mustadrak al-Wasāʾil, vol. 13, p. 81.
- Ḥurr al-Āmilī, Takmilat al-Wasāʾil, p. 310-357.
- Mufīd, al-Irshād, vol. 2, p. 254.
- Abū l-Faraj al-Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 456.
- ʿĀmilī, al-Ḥayāt al-sīyāsīyya, p. 428.
- Mustawfī, Nazhat al-qulūb, p. 63.
- Abū l-Faraj al-Iṣfahānī, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥusayn. Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn. Edited by Aḥmad Ṣaqar. Beirut: Dār al-Maʿrifa, [n.d].
- ʿĀmilī, Jaʿfar Murtaḍā al-. Al-Ḥayāt al-sīyāsīyya li-l-Imām al-Riḍā. Second edition. Qom: Daftar-i Nashr-i Islāmī, 1403 AH.
- Ḥurr al-Āmilī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Takmilat al-Wasāʾil. Edited by Qāʾīnī. Qom: Muʾassisa-yi Maʿārif-i Islāmī-yi Imām al-Riḍā, 1418 AH.
- Ibn Ṣabbāgh al-Mālikī, ʿAlī b. Muḥammad. Al-Fuṣūl al-muhimma fī maʿrifat al-aʾimma. Qom: Dār al-Ḥadīth, 1422 AH.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Irshād. Translated to Farsi by Rasūlī Maḥallātī. Second edition. Tehran: Islāmīyya, [n.d].
- Mustawfī, Ḥamd Allāh al-. Nazhat al-qulūb. Edited by Guy le Strange. Tehran: Dunyāy-i Kitāb, 1362 Sh.
- Nūrī, Mirzā Ḥusayn al-. Mustadrak al-Wasāʾil. Qom: Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt, 1408 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Rijāl. Qom: Daftar-i Nashr-i Islāmī, 1373 Sh.