Mosque of Sa'sa'a b. Sawhan
|Mosque of Sa'sa'a b. Sawhan|
|Islamic Sect||Shi'a Islam|
|Area||160 square meters|
|Features||It is attributed to Sa'sa'a b. Sawhan, a companion of Imam 'Ali (a)|
The mosque of Ṣaʿṣaʿa b. Ṣawḥān (Arabic: مَسْجِد صَعْصَعَة بنِ صَوْحان) is one of the mosques of Kufa near al-Sahla Mosque. This mosque was the worshiping place of Sa'sa'a b. Sawhan, one of the companions of Imam 'Ali (a). A group of people saw Imam al-Mahdi (a) worshiping in the mosque, in the month of Rajab. In their books, al-Sayyid b. Tawus and al-Shahid al-Awwal mentioned recommended practices for this mosque.
Sa'sa'a b. Sawhan
- Main article: Sa'sa'a b. Sawhan
The mosque is named after Sa'sa'a b. Sawhan al-'Abdi who was among the companions of Imam Ali (a) and worshiped in this mosque. Sa'sa'a was an eloquent orator and made several speeches in defense of Imam Ali (a). Imam Ali (a) mentioned him among his great companions and Imam al-Sadiq (a) too considered him among those who knew Imam Ali (a) the way he (a) deserved it.
The building of Sa'sa'a mosque was reconstructed in 1387/1967 and is in an area of 160 square meters.
In Mafatih al-jinan, Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi introduced Sa'sa'a mosque among respected mosques of Kufa located near the mosque of Zayd b. Sawhan. It was where a group of people saw Imam al-Mahdi (a) in the month of Rajab when he (a) performed two rak'as of prayer and recited a supplication attributed to that mosque. Al-Shahid al-Awwal in al-Mazar, and Ibn al-Mashhadi, in al-Mazar al-kabir dedicated a chapter to the merits of this mosque and its recommended practices.
In Iqbal al-a'mal, al-Sayyid b. Tawus transmitted a hadith from Muhammad b. Abi Ruwasi, and al-Shahid and Ibn al-Mashhadi transmitted it from Muhammad 'Abd al-Rahman al-Tustari that Imam al-Mahdi (a) was seen in that mosque in the month of Rajab when he (a) performed two rak'as of prayer and recited a supplication.
- ʿAlawī, Amākin-i zīyāratī wa siyāḥatī-yi Iraq, p. 230.
- Ibn Dāwūd, al-Rijāl, p. 187.
- Qummī, Mafātīh al-jinān, p. 409.
- Shahīd al-awwal, al-Mazār, p. 264.
- Mashhadī, al-Mazār al-kabīr, p. 124.
- Ibn Ṭawūs, Iqbāl al-aʿmāl, vol. 3, p. 212.
- Shahīd al-awwal, al-Mazār, p. 264; Mashhadī, al-Mazār al-kabīr, p. 124.
- ʿAlawī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Amākin-i zīyāratī wa siyāḥatī-yi Iraq. Qom: Maʿrūf, 1389 Sh.
- Ibn Dāwūd al-Ḥillī, Ḥasan b. ʿAlī. Al-Rijāl. Tehran: Danishgāh-i Tehran, 1342 Sh.
- Ibn Ṭawūs, ʿAlī b. Mūsā. Iqbāl al-aʿmāl. Edited by Jawād Qayyūmī Iṣfahānī. Qom: Daftar-i Tablīghāt-i Islāmī, 1376 Sh.
- Mashhadī, Muḥammad b. Jaʿfar al-. Al-Mazār al-kabīr. Edited by Jawād Qayyūmī Iṣfahānī. Qom: Qayyūm, 1419 AH.
- Qummī, ʿAbbās. Mafātīh al-jinān. Qom: Uswa, [n.d].
- Shahīd al-awwal, Muḥammad b. Makkī al-. Al-Mazār. Edited by Muwaḥḥid Abṭaḥī Iṣfahānī. Qom: Madrasa-yi Imām Mahdī, 1410 AH.