Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah b. Ja'far
|Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah b. Ja'far|
Mausoleum of martyrs of Karbala
|Full Name||Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah b. Ja'far b. Abi Talib b. 'Abd al-Muttalib|
|Companion of||Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Wellknown Relatives||Imam Ali (a), Lady Fatima (a), Lady Zaynab (a), Imam al-Hasan (a), Imam al-Husayn (a), 'Abd Allah b. Ja'far|
|Place of Birth||Medina|
|Place(s) of Residence||Medina|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Martyred in the Event of Ashura|
|Burial Place||Holy Shrine of Imam al-Husayn (a), Karbala|
|Activities||Participating in Event of Karbala|
Muḥammad b. ʿAbd Allāh b. Jaʿfar (Arabic: محمد بن عبدالله بن جعفر), one of the martyrs of Karbala, according to some sources, was Lady Zaynab's son. Together with his brother 'Awn, Muhammad accompanied Imam al-Husayn (a) and was murdured on the Day of 'Ashura.
His father was 'Abd Allah b. Ja'far b. Abi Talib b. 'Abd al-Muttalib, a Companion of the Prophet (s). His ancestor was Ja'far al-Tayyar, whom the Prophet (s) appointed as the head of the emigrants to Abyssinia. According to some sources, his mother was Lady Zaynab (a), the daughter of Amir al-Mu'minin (a) and Lady Fatima (a), but some other sources mention Khawsa' bt. Khasfa (or Hafsa) b. Thaqif as his mother.
|Family tree of Ahl al-Bayt (a)|
Accompanying Imam al-Husayn (a)
When Imam al-Husayn (a) moved from Mecca to Medina, 'Abd Allah b. Ja'far wrote a letter to the Imam (a), trying to change the Imam's mind. He sent the letter through his sons Muhammad and 'Awn, but when Ja'far realized that the Imam (a) is determined to go, he advised Muhammad and 'Awn to accompany the Imam (a).
On the Day of 'Ashura, Muhammad went towards the court of battle and said, "I complain to God about the oppression of the people who are going astray blindly, those who have changed the signs of the Qur'an and its clear statements, and have manifested infidelity and rebellion."
It is reported that he fought bravely and killed ten warriors of enemy's army, but at the end was killed by 'Amir b. Nahshal al-Tamimi.
- Ṭabarī, Kāmil-i Bahāʾī, p. 674.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 469; Abū l-Faraj al-Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-Ṭālibīyyīn, p. 95-96.
- Mufīd, al-Irshād, vol. 2, p. 69.
- Ibn Aʿtham, al-Futūḥ, vol. 5, p. 111.
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, Manāqib, vol. 4, p. 106.
- Abū l-Faraj al-Iṣfahānī, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥusayn. Maqātil al-Ṭālibīyyīn. Third edition. Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Aʿlamī li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1419 AH.
- Ibn Aʿtham. Al-Futūḥ. Edited by ʿAlī Shīrī. Beirut: Dār al-Aḍwāʾ, 1411 AH.
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī. Manāqib Āl Abī Ṭālib. Qom: Nashr-i ʿAllāma, 1379 AH.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Irshād fī maʿrifat ḥujaj Allāh ʿalā l-ʿibād. Qom: Kungira-yi Shaykh Mufīd, 1413 AH.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Second edition. Beirut: Dār al-Turāth, 1387 AH.
- Ṭabarī, Ḥasan b. ʿAlī al-. Kāmil-I Bahāʾī. Tehran: Intishārāt-i Murtaḍawī, 1383 Sh.