Wajib: Daily Prayers • Essentials of Prayer • Friday Prayer • Eid Prayer • Al-Ayat Prayer • Funeral Prayer• Istijari Prayer
Qalīl water (Arabic: الماء القليل, literally: a little water) in Shi'a jurisprudence is an amount of water that is less than kurr water and is not running water or well water. One can make wudu or ghusl with qalil water; however, using it for cleaning najis things is subject to special conditions and rulings. According to many Shi'a jurists, if qalil water comes into contact with najis, it becomes najis.
- Qalil water is a type of mutlaq water (unadulterated) and is mutahhir (cleaning).
- According to majority of jurists, if qalil water comes into contact with najis or mutanajjis (something that contacted najis while being wet), it will become najis. And if it is connected to and mixed with kurr, running or rain water it will become tahir. (There is disagreement in a case that qalil water is connected to above-mentioned water but not mixed with them.)
- If qalil water flows from a higher place and the water in the lower place comes into contact with najis, the upper part will still remain tahir. Likewise, if qalil water is squirted from a lower position to a higher one, like a fountain, and the water comes into contact with najis on the top, the water at the lower part will still remain tahir.
- According to majority of Shi'a jurists, the part of body or clothes which has become najis by urine can become tahir using qalil water under these conditions:
- washing the najis part twice
- squeezing the clothe so that the water in the clothes comes out
- pouring the water on the body or clothes rather than putting them in qalil water.
- Contemporary jurists famously believe that a utensil, which has become najis, must be washed three times with qalil water to become tahir. Moreover, a dish in which a dog has eaten something or has licked must be scrubbed by dust before washing with water.
- Ṭabāṭabāʾī Yazdī, al-ʿUrwat al-wuthqā, vol.1, p. 26-27, 36.
- Ṭabāṭabāʾī Yazdī, al-ʿUrwat al-wuthqā, vol. p. 43.
- Ṭabāṭabāʾī Yazdī, al-ʿUrwat al-wuthqā, vol. 1, p. 36.
- Ṭabāṭabāʾī Yazdī, al-ʿUrwat al-wuthqā, vol. 1, p. 107-110.
- Ṭabāṭabāʾī Yazdī, Muḥammad Kāẓim. Al-ʿUrwat al-wuthqā. Qom: Jāmiʿat al-Mudarrisīn, 1417-1420 AH.