Sa'id b. Hibat Allah al-Rawandi
Tomb of Qutb al-Din al-Rawandi in the Shrine of Lady Fatima al-Ma'suma (a)
|Professors||Al-Fadl b. al-Hasan al-Tabrisi, 'Imad al-Din al-Tabari, ...|
|Students||Ibn Shahrashub, Muntajab al-Din al-Razi, ...|
|Works||Al-Khara'j wa l-jara'ih, Tahafut al-falasifa, Minhaj al-bara'a fi sharh nahj al-balagha, ...|
Quṭb al-Dīn Abū l-Ḥusayn Saʿīd b. ʿAbd Allah b. Ḥusayn b. Hibat Allah al-Rāwandī al-Kāshānī, (Arabic: قطبالدين ابوالحسين سعيد بن عبدالله بن حسين بن هبةالله الراوندي الکاشاني) (d. 573/1177) known as al-Qutb al-Rawandi, a hadith scholar, commentator, theologian, jurist, philosopher and a great Shi'a historian in the sixth/twelfth century, and was al-Shaykh al-Tabrisi's student. He has a lot of works, but al-Khara'j wa al-jara'ih is the most prominent.
Initially he was taught by his father and his grandfather and then set off for Qom. According to Afandi l-Isfahani, he received and narrated some hadiths from hadith authorities in Isfahan, Khurasan, and Hamadan.
In the View of Scholars
- Allama Amini stated about him: al-Rawandi is one of the heads of Shi'a scholars, chosen of the sect, one of the jurisprudence and hadith masters, and an intelligent man in knowledge and literature. No fault is seen in his plenty of works, his honors, his efforts and religious works, his good deeds, and great books.
- The author of Rawdat al-jannat has praised him elaborately. In an introduction to Qutb al-Din al-Rawandi he states: He is jurist, a prominent and reliable person having diverse works.
- 'Abd Allah b. 'Isa Afandi has said about him: He was a Shaykh, pioneer in jurisprudence, an honorable person, familiar with hadiths and poetry, muhaddith and mutikallim.
- Shaykh 'Abbas Qumi has written about him: He was a scholar, jurist, muhaddith and researcher. He absolutely is one of the great muhaddiths of Shi'a,
- Al-Fadl b. al-Hasan al-Tabrisi, the author of Majma' al-bayan
- 'Imad al-Din al-Tabari, the author of Bisharat al-Mustafa
- Safi al-Din Murtada b. Da'i al-Razi, the author of Tabsarat al-'awam
- Shaykh Abu Ja'far Muhammad b. 'Ali al-Halabi
- Muhammad b. al-Hasan, the father of Nasir al-Din al-Tusi
- Muhammad b. Isma'il al-Mashhadi
- Abu l-Hasan Muhammad b. 'Ali al-Tamimi al-Nishaburi
- Abd al-Rahim b. Ahmad al-Shaybani
- Abu Nasr al-Ghazi
- Abu Samsam Dhu l-Fiqar b. Muhammad b. Ma'bad al-Husayni
- Abu Ja'far b. Kumih
- Abu Samsam Ahmad b. Muhammad 'Ali al-Marashki
- Abu Sa'id al-Hasan b. 'Ali al-Larabadi
- Abu l-Qasim al-Hasan b. Muhammad al-Hadiqi
- Rashid al-Din Muhammad b. 'Ali, well-known as Ibn Shahrashub, his most prominent student
- Muntajab al-Din al-Razi
- Nasir al-Din al-Husayn b. Sa'id al-Rawandi, his son
- Zahir al-Din Muhammad b. Sa'id al-Rawandi, another son of his
- Qadi Jamal al-Din 'Ali b. 'Abd al-Jabbar al-Tusi
- Qadi Ahmad b. 'Ali b. 'Abd al-Jabbar al-Tusi
- Faqih 'Ali b. Muhammad al-Mada'ini
- Faqih 'Izz al-Din Muhammad b. al-Hasan al-'Alawi al-Baghdadi
- Ziyn al-Din Abu Ja'far Muhammad b. Hamid b. Muhammad al-Da'widar
- Main article: List of Works by Sa'id b. Hibat Allah al-Rawandi
His works are said to include 60 books and treatises in different fields including exegesis of the Qur'an, Nahj al-Balagha, theology and philosophy, hadith, history, jurisprudence and principles of jurisprudence. Al-Khara'ij wa l-jara'ih is his the most prominent book which revolves around the issue of miracle and the Prophet's lifestyle.
Death and Death Place
He passed away at 573/1177. His corpse was buried in the Shrine of Lady Ma'suma (a). Currently, his tomb, which was constructed by order of Ayatollah Mar'ashi Najafi, can be easily observed by every pilgrim passing the Atabaki (Imam Reda (a)) courtyard (sahn).
Ayatollah Araki narrates:
- "Akhund Muhammad Hasan Jalali narrated that his master Shaykh Muhammad Husayn stated: when the minister was repairing the holy courtyard (circa the time of Constitutional Revolution of Iran in 1905), a gravel hole was seen to al-Qutb al-Rawandi's tomb and I witnessed that his knees had not decomposed."
Ayatullah Araki continues:
"I had heard this before. It was very common and repetitive among the people of Qom that al-Rawandi's corpse is still fresh."
- A'yan al-Shi'a, Vol. 7, P. 239
- A'yan al-Shi'a, Vol. 7, P. 239.
- A'yan al-Shi'a, Vol. 7, P. 240
- Riyad al-ulama' , Vol. 2, P. 425
- Al-Ghadir, Vol.5, P.379.
- Rawdat al-jannat, Vol. 4, P. 6,7.
- Riyadul ulama' , Vol. 2, P. 419.
- Al-Kuna wa l-alqab, Vol. 3, P. 72.
- Lisan al-mizan, Vol. 3, P. 48.
- Rawdat al-jannat, Vol. 4, P. 7
- Bihar al-anwar, Vol.105, P. 135.
- Afandi, 'Abdullah, Riyadul ulama' wa hiyadul fudala'. Qum: Al-Khiyam Publication
- Amin, Muhsin, A'yan al-Shi'a. Beirut: Dar al-Ta'aruf
- Amini, 'Abdul Husain, al-Ghadir. Beirut: Dar al-Kitab al-'Arabi
- 'Asqalani, Ibn Hajar, Lisan al-mizan. Beirut: Al-A'lami, 1390
- Kansari, Muhammad Baqir, Rawdat al-jannat fi sharh al-'ulama' wa al-sadat. Qum: Isma'ilyan
- Qummi, 'Abbas, al-Kuna wa l-alqab. Tehran: Maktabat al-Sadr
- Majlisi, Muhammad Baqir, Bihar al-anwar. Beirut: Al-Wafa' Inistitution