Supplication of Abu Hamza
Ziyara Ashura' • Ziyara Warith • Amin Allah • al-Jami'a al-Kabira • Al Yasin
Takbir • Tahmid • Tahlil • Tasbih • Tasbih of Lady Fatima (a) • Salawat • al-Yunusiyya • Istighfar
al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya • Mafatih al-jinan • Misbah al-mutihajjid • Iqbal al-a'mal • Miftah al-falah
|Days and Months|
Laylat al-Qadr • 15th Sha'ban • 'Arafa • Ramadan • Rajab • Dhu l-Hijja
Supplication of ʾAbū Ḥamza al-Thumālī (Arabic: دعاء أبي حمزة الثمالي) is a Du'a narrated from Imam al-Sajjad (a) by Abu Hamza al-Thumali. The supplication, rich in spiritual teachings and highly eloquent in its wording, is the longest Du'a to be recited at dawn in the Month of Ramadan. Several commentaries of this supplication have been written.
Abu Hamza al-Thumali, a companion of Imam al-Sajjad (a), Imam al-Baqir (a) and Imam al-Sadiq (a), narrated this supplication from Imam al-Sajjad (a); hence, the supplication is widely known by his name.
In his Iqbal al-a'mal, Sayyid b. Tawus quotes from Harun b. Musa al-Talla'ukbari who narrated through Hasan b. Mahbub's chain of narration, from Abu Hamza, that: "in the Month of Ramadan, Imam al-Sajjad (a) spent the greater part of each night praying; and at dawn, he recited this supplication."
This supplication has been narrated by: al-Shaykh al-Tusi in Misbah al-mutihajjid, al-Kaf'ami in al-Balad al-amin and al-Misbah, al-Majlisi in Zad al-ma'ad and Bihar al-anwar, and Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi in Mafatih al-jinan.
The supplication begins with, "O my Lord! Do not discipline me by means of your punishment," and ends with, "make me content with whatever you have provided me with, O the Most Merciful of all!"
This supplication contains sublime teachings expressed in a very eloquent manner. It demonstrates to us the purest mindset and method for sincere repentance and invocation. The darkness of the grave and the hardships of the Day of Judgment are vividly described, the necessity for obedience to the Prophet (s) and his progeny (a) is emphasized, and major divine blessings are recounted.
Among the things requested for in this Du'a are abundant bounties, the opportunity to make pilgrimage to Mecca, protection from evil and ruthless rulers, purification from vices, and relief from laziness, disappointment and distress.
Manner of Recitation
Translation and Commentaries
Several commentaries have been written on this supplication:
- Commentary on the supplication of Abu Hamza by Shaykh Muhammad Ibrahim Sabziwari
- Commentary on the supplication of Abu Hamza by Mawla Muhammad Taqi Isfahani Ha'iri
- Commentary on the supplication of Abu Hamza by Sayyid Husayn b. Ja'far Musawi Khwansari
- Commentary on the supplication of Abu Hamza by Sayyid Mir Mu'iz al-Din b. Mir Masih Istahbanati
- Tuhfat al-a'izza by Shaykh Aqa Shamili Shirazi
- Al-Jawhara al-'aziza fi sharh du'a Abi Hamza by Sayyid Abu l-fadl al-Husayni
- 'Ishq va Rastegari by Ahmad Zumurrudian Shirazi
- The text and commentary of the supplication of Abu Hamza by Muhammad 'Ali Khaza'ili which was published in 1429/2008
|For the full text, see text:Supplication of Abu Hamza.|
- The material for this article is mainly taken from دعای ابوحمزه ثمالی in Farsi Wikishia.
- An English Translation of the Supplication of Abu Hamza al-Thimali (pdf)