Suwayd b. 'Amr al-Khath'ami
|Suwayd b. 'Amr al-Khath'ami|
|Full Name||Suwayd b. 'Amr b. Abi Muta' al-Khath'ami|
|Companion of||Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Martyred in the Battle of Karbala|
Suwayd b. ʿAmr b. Abī Muṭāʿ al-Khathʿamī (Arabic: سُوَیْد بْن عَمْرو بْن أبی مُطاع الخَثْعَمی) was the last martyr in the Battle of Karbala. He was martyred a short time after the martyrdom of Imam al-Husayn (a).
Lineage and Character
Battle of Karbala
Suwayd was the last person among Imam al-Husayn's (a) companions who went to the battlefield and fought until he was injured and fell down among other martyrs. Everyone thought that he was killed. After a while, however, Suwayd heard people saying that Husayn was killed. He stood on his feet with a great deal of effort and since his sword was taken away, he fought with a dagger until he was martyred. It is said that Urwa b. Battan al-Tha'labi and Zayd b. Riqad al-Janbi killed him.
- Samāwī, Ibṣār al-ʿayn, p. 169.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 446.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 442; Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 3, p. 204; Ibn Athīr, al-Kāmil fī l-tārīkh, vol. 4, p. 79.
- Balādhurī, Aḥmad b. Yaḥyā al-. Ansāb al-ashrāf. Edited by Muḥammad Bāqir Maḥmūdī. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1977.
- Ibn Athīr, ʿAlī b. Muḥammad. Al-Kāmil fī l-tārīkh. Beirut: Dār al-Ṣādir, 1385 AH.
- Samāwī, Muḥammad al-. Ibṣār al-ʿayn fī anṣār al-Ḥusayn. Qom: Zamzam-i Hidāyat, 1384 Sh.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Aʿlamī, 1403 AH.